What are the rights of migrant workers who are or at risk of becoming trafficked?
October 22, 2020
This webinar focuses on the regional policy priorities of ASEAN sectoral bodies on victim protection involving migrant workers, especially in response to the challenges posed by the pandemic.
We discuss how ASEAN Member States can promote effective governance of labour migration and provide protection to migrant workers, the labour dimensions of trafficking in persons, and the ASEAN policy priorities on protection and promotion of the rights of migrant workers who are victims of trafficking or are at risk of being trafficked amidst the pandemic.
Recommendations are given for ASEAN policy makers and partners to work collectively to support the migrant workers and prevent further human and labour rights abuses, mitigating the lasting negative effect of the pandemic on migrant workers.
- Migrant workers, COVID-19 and trafficking – is there a new normal
- Challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic on regular and irregular migrant workers
- Anna Olsen, Technical Specialist, TRIANGLE in ASEAN, International Labour Organization
- Undersecretary Sarah Lou Y. Arriola, Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers’ Affairs, Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs
- Shahabuddin Abu Bakar, Ministry of Human Resources, Malaysia